Monday, October 5, 2009

Melinda's homemade Pizza with a Twist and the Pioneer Woman's Ceaser Salad

Using 3 burners at once!

I love that you are advised to eat this salad with your fingers. The kids loved that.


So tonight for dinner I made homemade pizza. My neighbor Melinda gave me the recipe and it is so good. I use wheat flour instead of white. Which may be the reason it won't rise like I think it should. Any ideas on that? Whenever I make any type of bread I have a hard time getting it to rise. Why? I'm not sure. I don't think I am killing the yeast. It looks like its "growing" in the water, especially once I add a little sugar. But for some reason I can't get it to rise into a big poof. Anyway.

The kids helped me add the toppings. And my husband helped with the chopping of the veggies. It was really good. I think they key to any good pizza is to bake it on a pizza stone. It makes the crust so much better. I forgot to add the olives, which I love an my husband hates. But it was still good.

The salad was so good too. I got the recipe from my newest favorite blogger The Pioneer Woman. I love her! Ceaser Salad is definitely one of my favorite salads. I even made the croutons. Hello! I made croutons. I was so proud of myself. They were really easy too. But I have decided that I want a food processor. A good one. I have one that someone gave me that isn't so great and worked for about a month. It is now in my cupboard taking up valuable space and still not working. Hmmm...my birthday is coming up. Do you think that would be a good gift?

Frugality: I already had all of the ingredients to make the dough, the pizza sauce and part of the dressing. I also had the sausage and olives. So all I had to buy was the cheese, pepperoni, the french bread and the veggies. Quite a frugal meal if I do say so myself. And yummy. All of the kids ate it up.

Waist Line: I used wheat flour instead of white. And I used light mayo for the dressing.

Success.

3 comments:

  1. I am wanting a food processor too - I feel so homemakie asking for one but I really really want one! Let me know if you find a good one to recommend, I know nothing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure but I've heard that wheat flour loses its elasticity fairly quickly - making it difficult to spread and rise. That might contribute to it not rising properly? I don't know how old your wheat flour is. I used white flour from food storage to try and make breads and they never turned out - I found out later it was because the flour was old. They say flour lasts for 30 years if kept in a cool spot but I'm not believing it anymore! Now I always buy fresh flour for breads and they rise every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison! I love your blog. I will have to try some of these recipes. My grandmother (the queen of making wheat bread) says that you must use Gluten when using Wheat flour (I think this is to help make it rise, but I could be wrong, I just remember her saying that). Not sure how much but her recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of flour and 1/3 cup of gluten- with a note that you only need it with Wheat flour. Anyway, its worth a try! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete