Monday, November 23, 2009

Chicken Breast stuffed with Spinach and Goat Cheese


I know that it has been a while. But I am starting anew tonight with some yummy meals each day this week. My first goal this week is to make all three meals and all snacks with the food I have already in my house. I did go to the store and get some milk and eggs and veggies but everything else I am going to try and use whats in my house. So tonight for dinner is Chicken stuffed with spinach and goat cheese. Except that I am using feta cheese because that is what I have in my fridge. I served it with a spinach salad with red wine vinaigrette.

Frugality: Everything was in my house so very frugal.

Waistline: This recipe comes from my South Beach Diet cook book. And it's a Phase 1 recipe which is very waistline conscious. Per serving: 280 calories, 10g fat, 42g protein, 3g carb, 1g dietary fiber, 390 mg sodium.

Recipe:
4 t evoo
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1/2 pound) bunch spinach, tough stems removed
4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 ounces low-fat goat cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

You'll also need wooden toothpicks

Heat oven to 400.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil int a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until spinach is wilted and liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate. Wipe skillet dry with paper towels.
Slice your chicken breast open like a pita bread. Open each pocket and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then fill evenly with goat cheese and spinach. Seal each with two toothpicks and season outside with salt and pepper.
Heat remaining oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. -- Note -- I actually cooked them for about 5 minutes each side. I have a thing about making sure my chicken is thoroughly cooked. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until juices run clear. For me I cooked it for about 15-18 minutes. The recipe says 8 minutes. That's not long enough for me. The chicken was still pink in the middle.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! That looks great, I'll have to give that a try. My boys think that they hate spinach so whenever I make something with it in it and they ask what it is, I just tell them "lettuce." THEN they will eat it! Silly.

    ReplyDelete